Sunday, July 27, 2014

First month in a new city


One month back, I moved out of Chennai with a heavy luggage and a heavier heart. Moving out of the city that had been my home since birth was not really exciting. The next few months I had to spend in a city that I've never imagined of living in, with people whose culture was quite different from mine and a climate that melts my heart but freezes my body. Pune. I almost knew nothing about this city when i came here but today it excites me to know more and more about the places, people and traditions here. The climate is cool and rainy all the time, so different from hot and humid Chennai. The people are more social, outgoing and open. There are more trees and mountains than malls and complexes. Transitioning from college to work and at the same time adapting to an entirely new city would be a memorable period in anybody's life. For a moment it seemed to me like everything had changed..my breezy college verandas were now replaced with centrally air conditioned workplace, my dependency on my dad for every little work had vanished overnight, I could no more beg my mom for 5 more minutes of sleep in the morning, my tongue started tasting more of chapathi than rice and I had to use my umbrella more than thrice in a day. But in spite of all these changes there were things that still hadn't changed. People however different by region, religion, language and culture remain the same by nature in many ways. Everybody laughs for a good joke, everybody loves to learn a few words in a new language and everybody want a break when it gets hectic. Amidst all the changes I still get to listen to my favourite music, gossip with girls, and do all my favourite things. Feeling independent every moment, handling circumstances, adjusting and learning new languages and cultures are not just changes but lessons for life. At first I was afraid if I could accept all the changes that would come my way but now I've started loving them and that makes me feel that going back to Chennai would no doubt bring much joy to me but Pune will forever have a special place in my heart.

2 comments:

Pebbles said...

Good that u adapted so quickly.. for a person who was protected so much, frst i tot, wud be hectic.. happy 4 u nw!!!

colorfulspirit said...

even i thought so..but it wasnt that hard :)